Pages

Monday, April 30, 2018

Story One - When Pike met Rose-Grace



Two years ago, Mayor Rose-Grace's work was interrupted by Rachel, from Doll County Children's Protective Service.  She was reviewing cases for Mayor's Court that evening and gladly took a break.  She only hoped Rachel was bringing good news.


Rachel: There's a family living out of a camper on the outskirts of Barbieville, behind the power plant.  With permission of the land owner.  We've gone out several times to investigate reports, but the only problem is somewhat cramped quarters.

Rose-Grace: I don't understand.  Why do you need me?

Rachel:  We have to go out there every time we get a call, that's procedure, and the father is talking about filing harassment charges.  He works, the kids get good grades, everyone's happy and healthy.  This family has done nothing wrong.  Apparently, there was a house fire during a divorce and the insurance company is stalling on payment.

Rose-Grace: Arson?  One spouse burned it to keep the other from being awarded the property?

Rachel: That's what the insurance company seems to think.  They're living in the camper as a temporary situation, but very few places will take both children and pets.  Is there anything you can do?  The county wants to avoid a lawsuit.

Rose-Grace: I have an idea.


Pike (exasperated): I've got nothing to hide, but I'm tired of the constant scrutiny.  We've got power and water - takes a lot of work to keep up with the tanks.  My twin boys sleep in the rear bunks, my little girl on the bench, the baby with me in the tent.  The dog's even had all his shots. 

Rose-Grace: I came to invite you to Mayor's Court tonight, so we can together address the situation.  You request that I intervene with CPS, publicly.  Your story gets into the newspapers without you seeming like the bad guy.  

Pike: At least then people will know the kids are safe.  I'm glad they're concerned for my kids, I really am, but...

Rose-Grace: I understand.  When my girls and I moved back here after my husband died, we had a similar problem.  There was at least one racist, but most of the people reporting me meant well. (Laughs)  The racist left town when I got elected Mayor.

Pike:  Good riddance, right?  I'll be there and even bring my kids so folks can see they're good ones.


A few days after Mayor's Court, Pike stopped by Rose-Grace's office.  Rachel did  bring good news!  

Pike: You're a genius.  No one else has called CPS and I even had one lady apologize to me in the grocery store.  A retiree saw the story in the paper and offered me a place.  She's converting her house into apartments, loves kids, and can tolerate the dog.  

Rose-Grace:  I know who you're talking about.  Signed all the permits, you know. (Chuckles)  My idea worked out for everyone.  You have a place now and a potential lawsuit was averted.  I guess I am a genius!

Pike: Can I take you to dinner Friday?

Rose-Grace: No need.  I was just doing my job.

Pike: I'm not asking the Mayor.  I'm asking the woman. 




Recently, on a joint vacation, they returned from a restroom stop to see this.  

Freddy: They forgetted to say pwease!    

3 comments: