Pages

Monday, April 30, 2018

April Haul

I wasn't planning to do an "April Haul" since I started the blog in April and didn't expect to have much.  In fact, until Saturday, I had one item to share!  Saturday was a beautiful day.  It finally felt like spring, albeit a little chilly.  (We've actually had snow recently here in SW Ohio.)  

I decided to mosey up to the local flea market and see if  Barbie Lady had anything for me after raiding my piggy bank.  Usually she only has not-bendy ones, but sometimes I score.  Barbie Lady's booth was not  open (BOO) but I wandered around since sometimes other booths will have something I can use.  

The lady who sold me Rusty (still can't get over that she was only 10 bucks) didn't have anything, but unlocked another booth for me and OH MY GOD.  Two big storage bins overflowing with dolls for 40 bucks.  Well, I didn't have 40 bucks, but I plopped my butt right down on the floor and started digging through. 

Frankly, I'm tempted to go back up there when I have the money.  I'm a player, not a serious collector, but WOW.  We're talking Donny and Marie Osmond, in stage clothes and she's still holding her microphone.  Obviously some had spent most of their lives on display.  

WARNING NAKED DOLLS AHEAD!
Also, some off-screen carnage.
And some pictures I forgot to put upside right.

As usual, my first order of business was a good cleaning.  It's never a bad idea to clean anything used, even if it's a doll who still has box-gel in her hair.  (Looking at you, Wendy.)  That blue glow is the gem in Kida's chest.  More on that later.   


These three jumped into my "keep" pile all by themselves.  Kida (From Disney's Atlantis movie) is rather rare, but she didn't have any of her original gear and was well-played-with.  The "chain" to her necklace came off in the wash.  The gem flashes a few times and then glows steadily.  I think it was how she summoned her troops in the movie, but it's been quite some time since I saw the movie.  Kida has a face tattoo. I was planning to rebody her since she has no elbows and only click knees, but she didn't match any donor bodies. Wendy was still in her original dress and had box-gel on her sausage curls.  I though she was Clara from The Nutcracker at first. She's Wendy Darling from Peter Pan.  The dude I nabbed because of the hair.  He's John Smith from Pocahontas.  


Your eyes do not deceive you.  I now have twin 18 inch Pocahontas dolls!  In the back row we have Esmeralda, blonde donor body, Ballet Recital Barbie, and John's donor body. Front row is Kida, John, Wendy, and another donor body.  I was going to use Esmeralda for Kida's donor body but the skin tones were way off and since she doesn't suffer from Vapid Face, I spared her.  


My only existing click-leg girl who matched any donors was Kyra.  Sorry, Violet, Rose-Grace, and Raven.  It was now that I discovered Esmeralda did not match either Kida or Raven and she begged for mercy. John swapped heads with his donor.  I had no donors for Wendy, Kida, or the new big Pocahontas.  Kida and Wendy do at least have click legs.




Pocahontas, Wendy, and Esmeralda were wearing their original outfits.  Pocahontas was missing her necklace, but she did have a belt.  I'd never bothered to research this doll, assuming she was just a really tall version of the standard, but the belt got me curious.  RESEARCH TIME!  Bead So Pretty Pocahontas came with not only the missing necklace, but also a kit to put beads in her (and your) hair.  Esmeralda was wearing two bracelets, and anklet, and a single earring.  I took the earring out, meaning to give her the posts from a donor noggin, only to discover no hole in the the other earlobe!  The sparkly blue dress is what Kida was wearing.  But she was packaged in Atlantean armor, so that's not her original garb. 


The clothes the others were wearing.  I used to have the black dress and still have the witch hat that matches it!  


The new residents of Barbieville! I decided to name the duplicate "Matoaka", which was the historical Pocahontas's other name (muh TOE uh kuh). Kida lost her batteries real quick and I gave her a new chain for her gem.  Wendy, Esmeralda, and John were good to go.  Clara (she got The Nutcracker name since she's a ballerina) begged for mercy when Esmeralda did.  She had gum in her hair which meant I had to give her a haircut.  The others managed to largely avoid the scissors.



After visiting the hair stylist and having their clothes laundered, they are ready to play. Clara does have a mild case of Vapid Face, but looks kind and friendly if not real bright. Also her head is glued on so she couldn't be a donor anyway.   


Twinsies!  


I picked this up at a yard sale.  It's a hand-held drum, looks to be hand painted.  It says "Rep-Dom".  It's almost the perfect size to be a timpani for the dolls.  Now to figure out how to make the drum sticks for a timpani on Barbie scale!   

1 comment: