Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2018

The Camper

I found the Star Traveller camper on EBay.  Since it was pretty beat up, the seller wasn't asking the sort of price usually required for vintage Barbie stuff.  No serious collector would have wanted it.


The kitchenette had only one working peg, there were several missing parts inside, and it needed a good cleaning.  I set to work right away!  It's still a work in progress, if for no other reason than the travel stickers I've been collecting, but this is what it looks like now: 



 The kitchenette had to go.  The single peg wasn't holding it in place, even with superglue, and the cleaning removed the stickers (burners and oven door window).  The black bench is cannibalized from a Hannah Montana Karaoke Set.  A long screw through the wall holds it in place.  



I cannibalized a My Scene dune buggy for the display and steering wheel.  I popped out the original dash, attached them with small screws, and popped the dash back in.  That gray mounted on the faux wood looks strange, but now my dolls can drive the dang thing!

The bathroom wall behind the bench seat was very wobbly, there was no toilet, and the door was missing.  I used the sink from the removed kitchenette as a sunroof.  This gave me a place to hang a shower curtain and stabilized the wall.  Sour Flush candy comes in a toilet-shaped container that's almost the perfect size and I made a hand-held shower out of dead ear buds.  It's basically a shower stall with a toilet in it, but some real campers have those.  Just don't leave the TP in there while getting clean, dolls! (This is all held in place with super glue.)



Since the kitchenette was gone, I turned the vanity in the back into a "George Foreman" grill.  The cooking surface is simply standard gray duct tape!  Kinda weird to be cooking in the bedroom...  or are they sleeping in the kitchen?  The upper bunk was missing when I got the camper and I found a replacement on EBay - my toolbox and superglue fixed the missing peg issue.

They're collecting stickers everywhere "they" go for the exterior. I try to find the smallest bumper stickers I can, given that they are huge in Barbie scale. (See the Kings Island one in second picture!)  "They" couldn't find bumper stickers at all in Vegas, so a couple of refrigerator magnets became wall art.




Beep, Beep!  Let's go!  

1 comment:

  1. Actually, a great find! I have seen some wonderful makeovers of this camper, so sometimes the fact that it doesn't have all of it's original components is a good thing! You did a very nice job with yours!

    ReplyDelete