Pages

Monday, September 10, 2018

Old Guys (and Becky)

One of the issues I have with dolls is the lack of age-group diversity.  Rarely is any plastic person meant to be over thirty.  Granted, some of the face molds can be used to push that to a youthful fifty. Rarely do we get senior citizens and when we do, they quickly leave my price range.  

A few of the "soap opera" Barbie blogs have managed.  I was pleasantly surprised to see the demographic represented by Star Wars characters.  I was even more pleasantly surprised to be able to get three of them within my budget!

 

I'll explain that young gal in a minute.  All the guys arrived in their birthday suits - thus the low prices!  All four have jointed elbows and twist waists as well as the standard shoulder, neck, and hips.  The men have wrists and one even has fingers that move!  I do gotta say, these are some buff Grandpas.


Knees and ankles.  Obi-Wan only has click knees.  Neither he nor Becky have ankles.  


Ever since Marcus had his accident, I've been trying to find a replacement for his bastardized My Froggy Stuff wheelchair.  I kept being outbid - one jerk even swooped in at the last minute to beat me to a BROKEN one!  I got the last laugh, though.  Becky is here because -- (drum roll) 

 

--- she came with this.  Even better (at least from a collector's POV) she was Share A Smile Becky, with her original outfit and both necklaces!  She had been removed from the box and gently played with or displayed.  Seller shipped her in the original box, even.  Take that, Last-Minute-Swooper!


Marcus:  Thanks, Becky.  What role will you have in Barbieville?  

Becky: Jeanie hasn't decided yet.  I hope I'm not KBV.


Mace Windu looks slightly demented.  I did have a small quandary with these guys - I've established my twins as Star Wars fans and the overlap of universes was hurting my brain.  I was considering calling him Sam Jackson but it was pointed out that I've got plenty of others who "just happen" to have the same name as characters.  Amazing coincidences, right? 

His role in Barbieville is decided.  Stay tuned for more information.


This guy will have to stay "Obi Wan" because I already have a Ben.  I just can't wrap my brain around calling him Alec Guinness. Maybe he'll go by his last name like Pike does? His role is still undecided.  


I had no intention, ever, of letting this guy be Count Dooku. Or, as I pronounce it, Count Dookie.  That's got to be the worst character name I've ever heard.  The actor was Christopher Lee and I considered that for a while.  Christopher seems too formal, considering my plans for him, and he just ain't a Chris.  What to do, what to do...

(Light bulb over the head moment) 

Pike is Christopher Lee Pike the Third.  Grandpa was "Christopher", Dad is "Lee", and Son just uses the last name.  Probably a habit he picked up in the military...  ideas for Pike's back story...  


Lee does have some finger articulation, as I mentioned.  He also has stains on his hands that I've been unable to remove.  I have, however, come up with a in-universe explanation. 

The Lando Calrissian kept calling to me.  I was hunting specifically senior citizens, but come on!  It's Lando!  He must be rare, because he's pricey.  I decided to hope they make a Lando for the new movie - another old guy.  I just love Lando. 

They also had Anakin Skywalker from The Phantom Menace.  Not a senior, but a child.  I changed my mind about him when I found out his boots are molded on.  I get enough of that from the Star Trek guys.



5 comments:

  1. it would be nice to have a boy child. although mebbe you could modify the little girls somehow.

    Yeah, call him Kenobi. That sounds cool. Or even Guinness

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the bloggers have altered girls into boys. I'm afraid I'd erase an eye while removing the long lashes! I did ask Santa for the new Harry Potter and Ron Weasley dolls. (Kenobi is really growing on me.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i favor guiness, but i've never met the doll.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That one's talking to me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great adds! I have all four but two are not the same as yours. I have a different Mace and a different Becky. Do you need some flat shoes for your Becky? I might have a few around here. Try using 10% benzoyl peroxide acme cream and sunshine on Lee hands. A day in sunlight with the stuff on should remove the stains!

    ReplyDelete