Pages

Monday, September 17, 2018

Story 12: Surprise Brother

Coming in after school, Nakoma is surprised to find this on the kitchen table.  


She complies, only to be told to get on a video chat because it will be easier to explain face-to-face.


Nakoma: What is going on?  Where are you?

Pocahontas (angry): I'm in tidewater Virginia.  Our ancestral home.

Nakoma: Is everyone okay?

Pocahontas: That depends.  Are you worried about the man who ditched Mom when we were still in diapers? (realizes she's being a... um... meanie)  Sorry.  It seems we weren't the only ones he did it to.  Nakoma, we have a nine-tear-old brother.  His mother begged the courts to track down Mom so this boy could be with family.  She's got a drug problem and can't... 

Nakoma: Are they going to let you bring him home?  Where are we going to put him?  

Pocahontas (touched): You don't even bat an eye, just offer him a place.  

Nakoma (embarrassed): Isn't that why you're out there?  To do the same thing?

Pocahontas: Only after I discuss it with you and get approval from the courts.  I know you were looking forward to your own room, but I guess he's getting Mom's.  I met him today.  He seems like a good kid.  

Nakoma: I don't want to stay out here in the boonies by myself.  Is it all right if I crash at a friend's til you get back?

Pocahontas: Try Finnick first - I'd like them to talk to Stacie.  She should be in his class, right?


Finnick catches his parents putting the babies down for the night and getting ready to do the same.  He puts Nakoma on speakerphone so she can explain the situation.  

Pike: I don't know, son, letting your girlfriend sleep over could set a dangerous precedent.

Rose-Grace: Don't be silly.  We can trust both of them.  (to Finnick) Go pick her up.  I'll make up a bed for her on the couch.



Nakoma: Thank you so much.  

Rose-Grace: Think nothing of it.  This is going to make for some lively breakfast conversation. 

Finnick: Thanks for trusting us, Step-Mom.  

Rose-Grace: I figure it's a miracle when your dad and I get privacy in this house, you two sure aren't getting any. It's not that I don't trust your intent.  I just know about temptation.   (laughs when both of them blush)  


Pocahontas: Thanks for coming.  I wanted Anakin to meet Roxy.  He's the little brother I never knew about and he's come to live with me and Nakoma. Roxy, I know he's a bit older than you, but will you help him out?  Show him around at school? 

Roxy: Stacie said we might be getting a new kid in her grade.  Is that you? 

Anakin: I start school Monday.  Is Stacie the fourth grader you told me about, Pocahontas? 

Pocahontas: Yes.  Roxy is in third grade, but she and Stacie are friends.

Roxy: I'm supposed to be in second but I'm really smart.  

John (teasing): She's modest, too.  




The adults excuse themselves to speak privately, leaving the children to chat.  

Kelly: How come you got yellow hair if you're a Indian?

Roxy opens her mouth to scold Kelly.

Anakin: Lots of people don't know that, Roxy.  Don't be mad at her.  (to Kelly)  Most of us have a least a little white blood nowadays. I guess I just show it more than my sisters. 

Roxy: You have a different Mommy.  Maybe she's whiter than Kida was. 

Anakin: Maybe.  Do you like Pokemon?  

No comments:

Post a Comment