Pages

Monday, August 5, 2019

Meet The Sister

Somewhere between Barbieville and their destination....


Brent: Next rest area, I'll turn the wheel over to you, Nakoma.  Road's starting to hypnotize me.

Nakoma: Even with Kyra talking to you, you've already driven farther than you should have.  I was about to suggest the switch.

Kyra: We're more than halfway there, according to the GPS on my phone.


Eventually, after what feels like forever....

Nakoma: Here we are, folks.  Juniper Hill Campground and RV Court.  



Kyra: Wilma, get out of the way.  Brent and Nakoma are trying to set up the tent.

Wilma: I'm helping!  Why we got the tent anyway?  Lots of beds inside.

Brent: There's five beds and six of us. I'll take the tent since I'm the only boy.  And mind your grandmother.  

Wilma: Boo.  I wanna be a helper.

Whitney: You can help once this hot dog is in your belly.  



Wilma: Mommy said you gotta hold on real tight while we look for your sissy.  

Brent: I will.  Daisy will be in either a red truck or a dark colored car.  Probably the car, since it's hard to cram three grown ups in a truck cab. 

Wilma: Esper ain't no grown-up.

Brent (chuckles): She's as grown-up as your mommy.  

Wilma: Oh, she's that big?  I thought a kid like me or Wendy.  

Brent: Well, your mommy is technically a kid, you know.

Wilma (nearly jumping out of his arms): Car!  Is that them?  Someone is waving real big and crazy.

Brent: That's them.  


Whitney: I'm here to help you down the ladder, Wilma.  

Wilma: I can do it all by myself, Mommy! 

Whitney: I'm here to catch you if you slip.  Is that better, Miss Fussy Britches?



Brent runs to greet Daisy with a big hug.  

Daisy: Wow.  You brought a whole family of hotties.  

Brent: I told you Kyra and her girls were lovely. 

Daisy: Your taste has always been questionable.  (sticks her tongue out at him)  Even that Naomi girl is pretty.  No, not Naomi.  What is it?


After introductions, the party splits into smaller groups.  

Bertie: Brent says you met when he ran against your boss for mayor? 

Kyra: Technically, she's not my boss, the town is.  But she is my best friend.

Daisy (laughs): Oh, that's not awkward at all.

Brent:  Rose-Grace doesn't hold it against me.  In fact, she was impressed that I didn't make the race personal.  This was her third election and last time two people went up against her. Both ran smear campaigns. 


Daisy: We met at my work.  Bertie stops in every morning for coffee and an apple turnover.

Kyra: Whitney's a waitress, too. 

Daisy: It's a gas station.  Hasn't Brent told you anything about us?

Brent: Not about your professional life.

Daisy (to Brent): You're fired.  This woman doesn't even know she's in presence of celebrities.

Brent: Sorry, I don't think of you in term of your jobs.  (To Kyra) Bertie is the anchor for the local news and Esper has had a few roles in musicals.  


Esper: You guys are dating twins?  Are they identical?

Whitney: Yes, identical twins.  Usually we can tell them apart.  Mine is surlier than hers.

Nakoma: Surlier?  Is that even a word? 

Esper: Most of the guys I know are gay.  That stereotype about theatre guys?  Almost totally true.

Whitney:  You do theatre?

Esper (shouts down to Brent):  You're fired!



After a long visit, everyone decides to give Brent and Kyra some private time.  Bertie and Daisy take the two youngest for a hike.  The older teens join them for a bit, but eventually wander off. 

Wilma: Help! I climb-did up here and now I'm stuck! 

Daisy: You aren't very high up - just drop and I can catch you.

Wendy (annoyed): She does this all the time.  

Bertie: For the love of God, don't drop that baby! 

Wilma (indignant): I'm not a baby!  Babies wear dipes!


That evening, Esper posts a selfie on her social media.  She couldn't post it when she took it because there was no signal out there! 

2 comments: