Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Story Nine: Taking Action


A few days after the fiasco at American Splendor, Gabriella (the only one who isn't grounded) tracks down Doctor Eaton at the Medical Center.  



Marcus: I know it's very frustrating, but my lawyer tells me nothing can be done.  They stop just short of the legal definition of libel and slander.  

Gabriella: Aren't you worried about losing patients if they believe the awful things Keep Barbieville Virtuous has been saying?  

Marcus: Of course I am, but there isn't much I can do about them.  Everything they say is true, they just twist it around. Besides, Gabriella, this is adult business and you're not an adult yet.  You shouldn't worry about it.

Gabriella: They're bullies, Doctor Eaton.  My dad says we should stand up to bullies.


Midna: Excuse me, I overheard that and I gotta agree with the kid.  A lot of my customers at the diner believe them, or at least wonder if there might be some truth to it.  

Marcus: I know that.  My wife is up in arms over it, but my lawyer...

Midna: There are other ways to deal with it.  We all just need to get our heads together and figure something out.  

Marcus: Shall we run a public service announcements to refute them?  (Marcus throws his hands up in disgust and leaves.)


Midna:  You're Joe Montez's daughter, aren't you? Gabby?

Gabriella: I hate that nickname.  

Midna:  OK, then, Gabriella.  I can make some phone calls about this, but the main person I need to talk to doesn't have a signal where she is.  Can you go out to the amusement park and track down Pocahontas?  They'll give you a non-rider stamp so you don't have to pay admission.

Gabriella: Sure.  What do you want me to tell her? 


Gabriella finds Pocahontas out in the park, checking on the new coaster.  

Gabriella:  Are you keeping the giant eyeball?

Pocahontas: We'll have to move it away from the ride, but yeah.  People love to get their pictures with it.  Enjoying your day here? 

Gabriella: Actually, Midna Sunburst sent me - she wants you to call her as soon as you get a signal.  It's about Keeping Barbieville Virtuous.

Pocahontas:  Good Lord.  What are they saying now?  



Later that week

John: Since I agreed to using my day care center, I'm pulling rank and calling the meeting to order.  We all know the things KBV are saying about us.  The question is, what do we do about it?  Do we have options?  



Esmeralda: My husband's lawyer claims we can't do anything about it.  KBV is very careful not to actually break any laws.  Everything is innuendo.  It's not much more than a really well-organized gossip campaign.

John: We may not have legal recourse, but maybe we can come up with something.  The implications they're making about me could drive me out of business.  

Esmeralda: I'm surprised they aren't saying the same about Pike.  He knocked up his high school sweetheart, too.

John: Candy's parents didn't press charges. Besides, they're busy attacking his second wife.    


Pike: Speaking of Candy, I think the reason they've left her alone is because she's a journalist.  We know these attacks aren't political - they've gone after both Rose-Grace and Mr. Spiner, here.  

John: Any chances we could get Candy involved?

Pike: (laughs) What makes you think she isn't?  

John: The problem with rebutting KBV is this... (thinks for a minute)  Take Rose-Grace's situation, for example.  She can prove she was married before having any of her kids.  She can prove her husband died.  But then the entire world is going to have access to sensitive information that puts her and her family at risk.


Midna: We can fight back in other ways, though.  Pocahontas and I have decided to offer discounts to people who bring in KBV's flyers.  We can at least minimize the circulation that way.  Maybe talk to the people bringing them in about it, even.  Explain the whole truth.

Sulu:  That's a good idea.  I'll do that at the greenhouse as well. 

Pike: Easy for you to say.  You're your own boss!  

Sulu: Hey, you're doing your part.  Got the ex doing detective work.


The meeting breaks up soon after.  John stops Pocahontas on her way out.  

John: Would you like to get a cup of coffee or something?

Pocahontas: You think we're just going to take up where we left off because she's gone?

John: Don't be like that.  I was young and stupid.

Pocahontas: Yes, you were.  (Brushes past him as she exits.)

John: Damn.  



3 comments:

  1. Hello, I'm new to your blog (just discovered it through your comment on Ms. Leo's blog). I'm going to start reading from the beginning and follow your story along, it looks great! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I just found your blog via your comment on Ms. Leo's blog. I have to play catch up on your story too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys! I probably stalk your blogs! LOVE that I"ve found a bunch of other crazy Barbie ladies!

    ReplyDelete