Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Rebuilding The Diner (Cafe?) Part One

Midna's fussing at me to get her diner up and running, already!  The people of Barbieville and greater Doll County are craving some of her good home cooking!  Since I have more time and creativity than money, I finally dove into the crafting supplies and did a little work on it. 


The supplies.  A second-hand roll of adhesive shelf liner that I originally intended to make be the flowers in the planters.  S'Mores design duct tape, Super Glue, Plastic wine glasses, and dead CDs.  


I made faux marble table tops out of the CDs.  


Tabletops being affixed to the wine glasses.  These will be pedestal-type tables.


 I covered the front of the white shelving unit, seen here behind Claudia.  The liner didn't want to adhere very well, especially where it curved around the edges, so there's a really large S'Mores design along the back edge.  Midna hopes it will make people want dessert!  

The large wall art, seen above Candy's head, was turned into a notice board with the faux marble. Will Midna use it to tell customers the day's specials or will she let people post notices there?    


Flip the building around and now we have sidewalk seating!  Sunburst Diner seems to be turning into Sunburst Cafe!  


The pink chairs are bothering me.  Teal blue and faux marble are the new color scheme. The Boy offered me the use of their shed - that's where he repaints his Nerf guns - so painting them isn't totally out of the question.  


Okay, I fibbed.  The outdoor planters are pink and there's pink on the menus.  These are bits of the background packaging from, I think, the babies.  Something small like that.  I just cut an already existing fold to size. 
  

I tried to cover the chairs using denim from my sewing box, but didn't have enough fabric for a skirt around the legs.  But I did figure out a pattern and my closets are due for a purge. Maybe I'll find a beat up old shirt I can use.   If not, there's always the thrift stores and clearance racks. 

Or maybe I'll loosen the purse strings a bit and buy a small can of spray paint.



4 comments:

  1. something patterned, with the blue and marble, and maybe pink flowers, since planters are pink. i had a nightgown that would work but i threw it away, so you don't have to worry; i wont be forcing it on you.
    Maybe stickers (decoupage?) on the backs of the chairs, and cushions for the seat. Gauze pads with taped edges for seat cushions; easter egg dyed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your tables. Those are awesome. The diner is looking good!.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Tasha. Midna's all excited about it.

    ReplyDelete