Pages

Sunday, March 17, 2019

Not A Fun Saturday

After the fire at Witch's Cove, both twins were treated at Doll County Medical Center.


Pike: We weren't told both boys were hurt.  

Marcus:  We didn't know when we sent for you.  We only found Finnick's break because I insisted on him going into triage. 

Finnick: I didn't feel it.  Doc says I was probably in shock.


Tanner (struggling to a sitting position):  What about Albus?  Is Albus going to be all right?

Rose-Grace:  Honey, we love Albus, too, but...

Marcus:  Tanner inhaled a lot of smoke and has a few minor burns to his lower body.  The paramedics and ER got his oxygen levels up, but he's not out of the woods yet.  We need to keep him here at least twenty-four hours.

Tanner: Yeah, yeah, I'm gonna live.  What about Albus?  Did I get him out in time? 

Marcus: I'm not supposed to discuss other patients with you.  But I can't stop any of you from visiting him.  He's right across the hall.

Tanner:  Hey, where are my dog tags?  


A few minutes later, Marcus finds Pocahontas in Albus's room.  When he hesitates to share any information, she surprises him.

Pocahontas: I'm his medical POA.  You can check the records if you need to.

Marcus: Why am I surprised?  You've probably known Albus your entire life.  

Pocahontas:  He's doped to the gills. 

Marcus:  Pain medication.  His leg is badly broken.  He's got second degree burns.  The man's in a lot of pain.   (chuckles)  Besides, we both know this isn't the first time Albus has been doped to the gills. 



Finnick (entering): He ain't done the hard stuff in decades.  (looks at Albus)  Holy crap, is he on a respirator?  

Marcus: Just oxygen.  He inhaled a good bit more smoke than your brother did.  (To Pocahontas) Stop at the desk before you leave.  We've got some paperwork for you. (leaves)

Pocahontas: How's Tanner?  Is he all right?



Nakoma comes in as Finnick updates Pocahontas.  She holds up the phone so the group on the other end can see Finnick.  It's Zenobia, Whitney, and Mariko. 

Finnick: You guys look like you're crammed in one of them photo booths.

Nakoma: Midna won't let them go home until they find out if you're okay. 

Pocahontas: What happened, Finnick?   

Finnick: We were working on one of the cars for the haunted house and we smelled smoke, but before we even put down our tools, a wall collapsed on us.  Albus was stuck.  Tanner started throwing rubble off him while I pulled on him.  He was fighting us and talking some other language? 

Nakoma: Flashback.  He served in Vietnam.

Finnick: That makes sense.  Anyway, we finally got him out.  Albus was unconscious and Tanner was coughing so bad...  (Covers his face with his hands, too upset to go on.)

Nakoma (to the phone): I'll call you back. 



As Rose-Grace and Pike prepare to go home, Detective Spiro comes in. 

Rose-Grace: Arson again?

Detective: The investigator says it's even more obvious than before.  I need to talk to your sons, and since they're minors, one of you needs to be here.  

Pike:  I'll get Finnick, he's across the hall with Albus.




After finishing with the Pikes, the detective goes Albus's room.  Pocahontas is expecting her.  They've been in touch by phone all afternoon.  

Pocahontas: Did you find anything on the security feed?

Detective: We did, but it doesn't give us a lot to go on.  

They watch the recording in silence.

Pocahontas: Whoever this is, they're good. That looks like a professional demolition job. 

Detective: We'll be able to get an approximate height and weight from this.  Unfortunately, the clothes are loose enough that can't tell a sex and there's no visible skin or hair.  You don't recognize anything in the mannerisms, by any chance?

Pocahontas: I'm afraid not.  



Pike has told Finnick to be quiet when they go into the house, since the other kids will be sleeping, but they find this in the kitchen. 

Taylor:  Finally!  We've been so worried! 

Finnick: Hop up, brat.  I'm stealing your chair.  (lets Fred climb onto his lap)  


Fred: How come you gots your shirt on funny?  You look like you're feeding a baby.

Finnick: If I didn't, we would have to chop the sleeve off.  (To Pike) Didn't you tell them we were okay?  That I was coming home with you?

Pike: I guess they won't be happy until they hear it from the horse's mouth.

Fred (giggles): You're a horse.  Go live in the barn.



Tanner is reading a magazine when Whitney creeps into the room.  

Tanner:  It's way after visiting hours.  What are you doing? 

Whitney: This afternoon...  it was so scary... and I've never told you. 

Tanner: Told me what?  Whitney, you can tell me anything.  We're friends.

Whitney: That's just it, Tanner.  I want to be more than friends.


Tanner: I've wanted that for a while now.

Whitney: Why didn't you say anything?

Tanner: Wilma.  I didn't want you to think I was like them guys at school. 

Whitney: If I thought that, I wouldn't even want to be friends. (laughs softly) Funny, I thought Wilma was the reason you wouldn't want me.  You know, damaged goods and all that.

Tanner: You forget my dad's a grocer.  The damaged goods are the best values. 

They kiss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment