Pages

Saturday, March 23, 2019

Unwanted Family Reunion

It isn't until Tuesday afternoon that Pike is able to call home and update everyone.  Tanner's burns were badly infected and he had to be re-admitted to the hospital.  


Pike: Waiting on test results now, but if this is what Doc thinks it is, we need to launder and sanitize everything Tanner had contact with.  It's insidious - Doc's word, not mine.

Tanner (weakly): Hi, Step-Mom.  I guess it's a good thing I've been hiding in my room.  Less for you to deal with, right?


Rose-Grace: It's a big job, but we've got it well in hand.  McG took the big stuff to the laundromat and I'm washing what we can here at home.  I'll add wiping down everything in the Boy Cave and upstairs bathroom with antiseptic to my list.

Pike: What are you not telling me?  

Rose-Grace: Apparently Tanner leaked onto the mattress.  My dad and yours put their heads together and claim they have a solution.  I'm just trusting them on it, honestly, because I have my hands full.  They might have to revise the plan if it's that bad.


In a distant city, Candy is surprised to see a familiar face in the airport lounge.

Candy: Well, hello, stranger.  Are you coming or going? 

Morgan: Going the same place you are, most likely.  Have you heard anything beyond "waiting for test results"? 

Candy: No, I haven't. I shouldn't be surprised to see you, you're so devoted to the kids. (Changes the subject) How can this happen?  The burns were minor, they said, but now...  

Morgan: It's the infection that's major.  Sit down here with me and we'll wait together.  We have to be on the same flight, right?  How many planes are headed that way?


Lee: We looked into what it would take to clean that mattress properly and it was ridiculous.  I offered your aunt's old bed to replace the bunks, and your stepmother accepted.  I know you boys aren't keen on sharing a bed, but Mace has a solution for that.

Mace: You aren't comfortable sharing a bed with another young man. But Fred has a few years before he is a young man.  

Finnick: Yeah, those bunks took up half the room and the mattresses were crazy expensive, too.  I don't know why Dad bought them from Joe in the first place.  I do have a question, though.  

Mace: What's that?

Finnick: Is this bed red enough?



Rose-Grace hurries to the hospital as soon as she could, trusting her brood to the care of the grandparents.  She has only been there a few minutes when Marcus comes in with the test results.

Pike:  How bad is it?  Will he be okay? 

Marcus: It's very bad, but since you got him here so quickly, he will be fine.  But he'll be lucky to be home by Easter.  I've got to keep him on those intravenous antibiotics and under constant observation.  

Rose-Grace (relieved): We'll work out something for school. 

Tanner: Make Finnick do all my work.  He's smarter than me, anyway.


Pike and Rose-Grace call together everyone for updates, but ask Tanner's clique to only send one person.  They nominate Whitney, since she's now his girlfriend. 

McG: It's a shame we had to meet under these circumstances.  Tanner's told me a lot about you.  He's quite smitten, you know.

Whitney (blushes): It's mutual.  

McG: Would I be correct in assuming the Wilma that Fred asked about is your daughter?

Whitney (nods): I left her at home with my mom and sister, though, because I didn't think she and Fred could behave for the serious talking we'll be doing.  They tend to get rowdy. 


A car coming up the driveway interrupts the chat.  Even though everyone knows it's a taxi bringing Candy, Finnick and Whitney look.  

Whitney: Who is that with her?  Is that Midna? 

Finnick: Holy crap.  Dad, Aunt Morgan is here! 

Fred (runs full-tilt out of the house):  AUNTIE!


Fred: Not you, Mommy!  Want Auntie! 

Morgan: Sorry, kiddo.  My first hug is reserved for my big brother. 

Fred: Did you finally comed to meet the babies?

Morgan (laughs): Yeah, that, too.


Morgan: I took an emergency leave as soon as Mom called me.  How is he? 

Pike: Find a seat somewhere. I want to tell everyone at once.  That gal by Mom is Whitney, by the way.  Tanner's girlfriend. 

Morgan: We met at your wedding.  And I do keep up-to-date, you know. 


After the family hashes everything out, the grandfathers herd everyone to bed while Pike drives Whitney home.  The women take advantage of the chance for a "hen party". 

Rose-Grace: You know I love Lee, but he seems inconsistent with his attitude about our careers.  He supports mine, Morgan's, and McG's.  But gives Candy so much grief?

Morgan: I don't have children. Mom never put her career before me and Chris.  Your family is your first priority. He thinks Candy...  well, deserted the boys and Stacie. 


McG: Morgan and I know there's more to it than that.  Candy was fine as a military wife, the frequent moves satisfied her wanderlust, but then Pike left the service.  She felt trapped in a permanent place.

Candy: I love my kids, I love your kids, but... 

McG: I suspect it has to do with spending your childhood in foster care.  Stability feels abnormal. 

Candy: I just focus on the fact that the rest of the family accepts me.  My children are happy and healthy and that's what matters, right?  

They all think of Tanner in the hospital. Each, in her own way, sends up a prayer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment