Pages

Saturday, May 4, 2019

The Investigation: Part Two

Federal investigator Lorina Dahl is creating waves, but life in Barbieville goes on regardless.


Midna: I'm glad you've decided to join us here at Sunburst. 

Jason: Thanks for giving me time to think it over,  I had another offer, which paid more, but the benefits and hours here are better for me and my, um, kid. 

Midna: I understand.  Let's get Violet to take you into the office.  You can finalize the paperwork and start tomorrow.


Violet: We have a problem.  The larger tables are in, but they're purple with an inlay design. 

Midna: We don't have time to return them and wait for the faux marble ones. (Thinks for a moment.)  But you know what?  This might work for us.  Several customers have suggested I return to the look I had at the diner.  A little messier, not so upscale looking.

Violet: Seriously?

Midna: Yes, seriously.  Purple family tables will add a little pop of color.  

Violet (not sure if she's angry or amused):  You're the boss.  Jason, if you'll come with me?


Zenobia:  Are you ladies ready...  What's wrong with Sylvia?

Phoebe: David showed his true colors.  

Zenobia:  Oh, crap.  What happened?

Phoebe: We had a DNA thing done, for the family tree Mom's been working on.  Found out Dad's theory about my hair is correct - we have African ancestry.  

Sylvia (sobbing):  He spit on me, Zen!  I thought he loved me! 

Phoebe:  You think she's bad, you should see Ryan.  He caught racist from David. 

Zenobia (kind but firm): Sylvia, we've been telling you since High School that David was trash.  


Lorina comes in as Jason leaves.  She joins Midna uninvited.

Lorina: Violet had security cameras in her store, but there's nothing useful on them. They don't show the area where the fire began.  What sort of security did you have at your former location?

Midna: Just the camera at the register.  You've seen that footage.  

Lorina (disappointed): You didn't have footage of the dining room?



Zenobia: Excuse me, ladies, but the Guinness sisters have ordered.  I need my cook.   (To Lorina)  Someone videoed the time Clara screamed at Becky and Ben.  I've seen it on Facebook. Would that help?

Lorina:  Yes, it would!  (Gets out her laptop.) Ms Sunburst, I need to borrow your waitress for a bit.

Midna: No problem.  They're the only ones in here at the moment, and they're waiting for their food.

Zenobia: I do have to grab their drinks, but I'll be right back.


Walking home from work, Zenobia sees the twins at the school. 

Zenobia: Y'all love it here that much?  

Tanner:  Our grandma is inside, meeting with Suzie Dean.  Suzie's helping her with the annual play. 

Zenobia:  I loved that thing!  But you know what a ham I am.  Oh, did you hear?  It hit the fan at the Guinness house last night.

Finnick: I noticed Ryan was absent today.  (Zenobia catches them up on the gossip.) Wait, Ryan found out his great great grandpa or something was black?!  

Zenobia: It's not funny, you guys!  Sylvia is devastated! 

Tanner (laughing): Well, I'm sorry for Sylvia, but after the things Ryan has said and done...  It's hilarious.  Wait til I tell Frodo!  

Finnick (imitating Frodo):  Yo, Ryan, man!  I hear you found out you was a homeboy! 



Suzie: You are over-thinking the entire thing, McG.  It's not a history project, it's to get them to identify with the characters.  To make them really think about the literature.

McG: Perhaps you're right.  I do tend to over-think.  

Suzie: If a play is too much for you, have them do monologues.  In character, telling their story.  

McG: That would fill the course requirements.  


Rose-Grace is enjoying a book on the deck when the twins get home.  Lorina arrives while Tanner catches her up on the gossip.

Tanner: Zenobia's mad at us for laughing, but...  Sylvia's her friend, not ours, and Sylvia's little brother is the bane of my existence. 

Rose-Grace: We'll discuss it later.  I need to talk to Ms Dahl now.  Privately, I'm sure.


Lorina: I wanted to give you a quick update on the case and I was in the area interviewing Mr. Spiner.  I hope you don't mind my coming to your home. 

Rose-Grace:  I'm tripping over in laws, children, and pets.  What's a Fed going to hurt?  (Both laugh) 
Have a seat. Tanner will warn the rest I'm doing mayor stuff, they'll leave us alone. 

Lorina: My technical analyst found some data I think you should see.  (She reaches for her bag, but her headset pings.)  Excuse me, I have to take this call. (Rose-Grace waits while Lorina does so.)  Well, Madam Mayor, would you like to go along while I make an arrest?  


2 comments: