Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Thank God It's Friday

Coming home from school.


Tanner: I wonder why the 'rents beat us home.    

Finnick: All I know is that Dad said the girls didn't need to ride the bus because they already picked up the little ones.  

Nikki: I hope nobody burned down the store or city hall. They still haven't caught the arsonist.

Finnick: Raven said they're pretty sure that was personal against her mom and Midna.

Tanner: Like Clara has no personal issues against the mayor?  Everyone knows it was her.


Taylor: Oh, no.  I remember the last time we came home to a scene like this. 

Lee: I promise it's good news this time.  Well, we think it's good news. 

Fred: They moving here!  Gonna live in the spooky house!


McG: Your grandfather has finally talked me into semi-retirement.  I've registered here in Doll County as a substitute teacher and we've bought a small home here in town.


Pike: Knowing you, it's a handyman's special. 

Lee: Of course.  Fred tells me it's even thought to be haunted.  

Pike (to the kids): Tanner and Finnick are taking the RV and helping with the move.  Your grandparents will fly, of course, but you're young and healthy enough to handle the road trip. It's a three day weekend and you should only have to miss one day of school.


Tanner: Better ask your girlfriend for permission.  There's a dance this weekend.

Finnick: She'd kick my butt if I didn't go.  Have you met Nakoma? 

McG: If she has a strong back and parental permission, she can come along.  The same applies to any of your friends of driving age.

*******

Later, McG finds Tanner alone in the kitchen. 


McG: Why are you brooding?

Tanner: I'm not brooding.

McG: I've been married to Lee for nearly fifty years.  I know brooding when I see it.  

Tanner (chuckles): Okay, you got me.  My friend Whitney...  well, she had Wilma when she was Nikki's age. I don't know how it happened - you know, if she was a victim or if she was just wild then - but she isn't a slut.  Guys at school... you get the idea.

McG: I can guarantee you that a girl Nikki's age who has a baby has likely been victimized.  Only by a lack of education, perhaps, but that's not the issue.  Your classmates believe she's promiscuous and that bothers you.  Why? 

Tanner: Even if she was, she don't deserve to be treated that way.  They just...    


He's interrupted by Stacie bursting into the room and hugging McG.  

Stacie: I'm so happy you're coming to live here!  

*******

At The Overlook that evening, Pocahontas is surprised to find Esmeralda and Marcus.  


Esmeralda: We're just cleaning up.  

Pocahontas: The Potter/Granger wedding.  I'd forgotten all about it.

Esmeralda (chuckling):  Do you always forget about events at your own venue?  

Pocahontas: More often than I'd care to admit.  (laughs) You don't have to stick around and do my employee's jobs.


Marcus: I told her that's why the old hippie was here, but she doesn't listen.  The woman is stubborn as an ox. 

Esmeralda: That old hippie has his hands full with the mess in the kitchen.  

Pocahontas: Well, I would have been planning to help him if I remembered there was a wedding here today.  I won't stop you if you insist on staying.  You can tell me about the wedding while we work.


Pocahontas has managed to convince the Eatons to go by the time the support group arrives.  

Pocahontas: Did everyone have a nice Valentine's Day?  I got flowers from a secret admirer. 

Ben: Don't look at me.  No offense, but you aren't my type.  

Pocahontas:  None taken.  You aren't my type, either.


Becky: I'm glad the middle school doesn't do the class exchanges.  It was crazy enough trying to get Ron and Ginny settled without that.  By the way, Ben, your sister has been so much help to Ginny.

Ben: Claudia said she's a firecracker.  That's a compliment. 

Becky: The only problem Ron's had is some boy named Malfoy.  He keeps asking if he can punch the kid in the nose.  


Nova: If that boy's any relation to the Malfoy on the college board of directors, he probably needs a punch in the nose.  That man treats us like dirt.  I'd use a different word, but I'm trying to be polite.   

Pocahontas: Why would he treat the students like dirt?  

Nova: I'm not a student.  I'm a janitor. 


Pocahontas: Oh, I'm sorry.  I just assumed. 

Nova: Didn't Mariko tell you I'd joined this group?  

Pocahontas: Nakoma's friend?  You're the aunt who scrubs toilets?   


2 comments:

  1. Cute story! So do you have a father for Malfoy or are you looking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't decided if I'm gonna feature Daddy Malfoy. I do have some "unassigned" potential fathers for Draco. Just biding my time and seeing where the story takes me.

    ReplyDelete